For over 35 years, municipalities, utility districts, government debt issuers, non-profit organizations, and traditional lenders have relied upon Alex Buchanan to help them navigate ever-changing economic conditions. He has extensive experience in loan transactions, mergers and acquisitions, private placements of equity and debt securities, and healthcare transactions. Alex leads the field with his experience and knowledge of tax-exempt bond transactions and public purpose debt funding.
Both borrowers and lenders seek Alex's counsel and respect his organizational skills, responsiveness, and knowledge of the law. Alex has represented clients in a wide range of transactions including serving as:
- Bond Counsel for the $9,292,000 General Obligation Refunding Bonds, Series 2016 for the City of Mt. Juliet, Tennessee
- Underwriters Counsel in connection with $27,260,000 Utilities Revenue Refunding Bonds, Series 2016, of the Harpeth Valley Utility District of Davidson and Williamson Counties, Tennessee
- Underwriters Counsel for the State of Tennessee's $291 million General Obligation Bonds
- University Counsel for $62,650,000 Lipscomb University Revenue Refunding and Improvement Bonds, Series 2016, and its Revolving Loan Agreement
- Borrower's and Bank's Counsel for debt structuring and loan closings of corporate borrowers involving senior, mezzanine and subordinate loans
Clients also benefit from Alex's leading-edge knowledge of Payment in Lieu of Tax (PILOT) agreements, as well as tax increment bond matters.
Alex has developed and presented several seminars on conventional financing issues and the laws governing public finance transactions. He has also written extensively on public finance and other tax-exempt issues. Alex regularly advises clients on general corporate and merger and acquisition matters and derivatives.
Honors and Recognitions
Since 2006, Best Lawyers has recognized Alex in the areas of Public Finance Law, Corporate Law and Administrative/Regulatory Law. Best Lawyers also recognized Alex as the Nashville 2016 Lawyer of the Year in the area of Public Finance Law. In 2013 and 2014, Best Lawyers honored Alex as Lawyer of the Year in the area of Administrative / Regulatory Law. Alex is also listed in the category of Securities and Corporate Finance in the Mid-South 2015 edition of Super Lawyers.
In addition, Alex is an AV-Preeminent rated lawyer by Martindale-Hubbell, is one of ALM’s top-rated Tennessee attorneys, and was recognized by the American Registry 2014 through 2016 as one of America's Most Honored Professionals.