Businesses depend on Chris Hayes for advice and representation regarding toxic torts, environmental claims litigation, environmental due diligence, regulatory compliance, and environmental permitting associated with business expansion. Through the development of innovative strategies and the application of his knowledge on environmental issues, Chris helps businesses grow while remaining environmentally sensitive.
Chris' dedication, responsiveness, and creativity in finding new solutions and approaches solidify the relationships he has with clients. When science encounters the law, Chris has the technical skills to come up with unique approaches to client matters. His experience includes:
- Assisting clients in preparing environmental indemnification agreements and performing environmental due diligence to facilitate the acquisition and disposal of real property and assets
- Compliance counseling related to NEPA, the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act, CERCLA, RCRA, and other environmental and safety statutes
- Obtaining environmental permits from federal, state and local regulatory authorities for the construction and modification of public and private facilities
- Advising clients on preparing corrective action plans, conducting remedial activities, and managing natural resource damages (NRD) claims at National Priorities List (NPL) sites
- Representing clients before administrative tribunals, boards of zoning appeals, states’ courts, and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency concerning an array of environmental issues
- Representing clients’ interests in negotiations with states’ department of environmental protection and states’ attorney general concerning environmental matters
- Assisting in the drafting and approval of states’ environmental statutes, regulations, and policies, including the preparation of formal comments to proposed rules and legislation on behalf of industry and manufacturing clients
Having worked with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Coast Guard, and the Tennessee Attorney General's Office, Chris has detailed insight into the federal, state, and local branches of the government. This insight betters Chris' ability to serve clients when negotiating matters involving regulatory issues
Chris enjoys the outdoors, has previously been an adventure guide, and volunteers for caving search and rescue. He also likes to canoe, hike, fish, camp, and restore classic automobiles.