Clients in the life sciences, manufacturing and shooting sports industries rely on registered patent attorney Eric B. Fugett for assistance with a variety of issues relating to intellectual property (IP) law, including patent, trademark, copyright, and trade secret matters. Emphasizing patent preparation, prosecution, and litigation, Eric also frequently assists clients with IP portfolio management and development, patent infringement and invalidity issues, state and federal trademark registrations, and IP enforcement. Food, drug, and medical device companies also regularly turn to Eric for advice and assistance regarding USDA and FDA regulatory compliance issues. Eric's technical background spans the disciplines of microbiology, molecular biology and genetics, plant science, and food safety.
The son of a master gunsmith, Eric also has an intimate knowledge of the shooting industry gained through years of experience working alongside his father in the family business. Recent examples of Eric’s firearms patent practice include:
- Tilt-activated Laser Aimed Firearms Ammunition – U.S. 9,568,276,B2
- Weapon mounting system for firearms – U.S. 8,757,044 B2, U.S. 8,757,043 B2, and U.S. 9,316,457 B2
- Recoil reducing buffer and stock adaptor for firearms – U.S. 8,720,093 B2 and U.S. 8,966,798 B1
- Ejection port cover for a firearm – U.S. 9,341,429
Personable with a straight-forward approach to the complex IP issues faced by corporate clients and individuals, Eric takes pride in helping inventors and entrepreneurs protect their innovations and introduce new products to the marketplace.
Select Scientific and Legal Publications
- P. Vangay, E. B. Fugett, Q. Sun, and M. Wiedmann. 2012. Food Microbe Tracker: A web-based tool for storage and comparison of food-associated microbes. J. Food Protection 76:283-294.
- Fugett, E.B., et al., 2012. ANDA Litigation: Strategies and Tactics for Pharmaceutical Patent Litigators, Chapter 4. The Litigation Timeline. (Chapter coauthor) Chicago, IL, American Bar Assoc. Book Publishing.
- B. Coggio and E. B. Fugett, 2008. Strategies to strengthen your patent: A novel claim-drafting approach. Patent World. 209:27-29.
- Fugett, E. B., D. Schoonmaker-Bopp, N. B. Dumas, J. Corby, and M. Wiedmann. 2007. Pulsed-field gel electrophoresis (PFGE) analysis of temporally matched Listeria monocytogenes isolates from human clinical cases, foods, ruminant farms, and urban and natural environments reveals source associated as well as widely distributed PFGE types. J. Clinical Microbiology 45:865-873.
- Fugett, E. B., 2006. Development of molecular subtyping databases to improve control of Listeria monocytogenes. MS Thesis, Cornell University.
- Fugett, E.B., E. Fortes, C. Nnoka, and M. Wiedmann. 2006. The International Life Science Institute North America Listeria monocytogenes strain collection: Development of standard L. monocytogenes strain sets for research and validation studies. J. Food Protection 69:2929-2938.
- Fugett, E.B., et al. 2005. International Life Sciences Institute and the American Meat Institute Foundation co-sponsored a workshop on “Epidemiology and Foodborne Illness: How Disease Investigations Proceed” at the International Association for Food Protection’s 2005 annual meeting. Food Protect. Trends 25:805-960
- U.S. D767,076 (09.20.2016) - Muzzle Brake
- U.S. 8,757,043 B2 (06.24.2014) - Weapon Mounting System for Firearms
- U.S. 8,513,490 B2 (08.20.2013) - Nucleic Acid Molecules Encoding Constitutive Triple Response1-Like Polypeptides and Methods of Use Thereof
- U.S. 8,426,676 B2 (04.23.2013) - Seed Enhancement by Combinations of Pyruvate Kinases
- U.S. 8,878,006 B2 (11.04.2014) - Plants Having Enhanced Yield-Related Traits and a Method for Making the Same
- U.S. 8,569,576 B2 (10.29.2013) - Plants Having Enhanced Yield-Related Traits and a Method for Making the Same
Member, Delaware, New York, Tennessee and American Bar Associations
Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association
Associate, Connolly Bove Lodge & Hutz, LLP, Wilmington, Delaware
Associate, Potter Anderson & Corroon, LLP, Wilmington, Delaware
Volunteer Law Clerk, The Honorable Leonard P. Stark, U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware
- J.D., Vanderbilt University Law School, 2009
Carl J. Ruskowski Clinical Legal Education Award
- M.S., Cornell University, Food Science, 2006
Graduate Research Assistantship
Western New York Institute of Food Technology Graduate Fellowship
Cornell Teaching Assistantship
- B.S., University of Arkansas, Food Science, 2003
Ozark Food Processors Association Scholarship
Robert C. Byrd Academic Merit Scholarship
- New York
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court, Delaware
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Tennessee